Hello Saturday! And Saturday means Shuffle time.
- Sorrow – David Bowie. What can I say about David Bowie that you don’t already know? Nothing…
- By My Side – Kasabian. One of the less well-known Kasabian songs off their second album – ‘Empire’. I think you can call it an ‘album filler’. Some think the band are overrated, others disagree. I would say I’m comfortably on the fence.
- Get Rhythm – Johnny Cash. The Man in Black. A legend. One from the end of the fifties with, well, rhythm!
- Way Into Your Heart – The Hummingbirds. I’m biased here, but this band from Liverpool are pretty damned good. This track is off their album ‘Pieces of You’ and is quite low-key and has a Country-style twang to it. Highly recommended listening.
- Black Or White – Michael Jackson. A bit of Jacko to finish, then. Maybe they should play this song to all the American cops before they go out on patrol to teach them a bit of racial harmony!!
And that’s your five for today. Before you know it, it’ll be Saturday again! Although it’s not just any Saturday next time – it’s my 1st Wedding Anniversary. Time flies, huh?!
As if by magic (bad magic at that), we are at the end of another week. Half way through the month already, which means two things – firstly it’ll soon be the kids’ summer holidays, and secondly it’s my birthday. Whoop! Whoop! Right, on with the business of shuffling…
- Man In The Mirror – Michael Jackson. Remember when it was uncool to like Jacko because of the court cases and rumours? I admit I stopped listening to him, but only after ‘Earth Song’ – he went a bit shit. This is a cool song, from the ‘Bad’ album, of that there is no doubt.
- Always On My Mind – Elvis Presley. Ah, the King. A song with such random cover versions as The Pet Shop Boys and Mike Reid (yes, he of Frank Butcher fame), this is by far the best. A tidy love song.
- Where Ya Going? – Gomez. A band I lost touch with, but recently re-connected with and discovered a treasure trove of awesomeness. This features Ben Ottewell’s distinctive gravelly voice (he’s had the same voice for, like, nearly twenty years) and a dirty guitar sound.
- Thriller – Michael Jackson. The song that defined his career. It’s got funk, it’s got soul, and it’s got horror icon Vincent Price’s macabre spoken ending. And that video!! *insert evil laugh*
- Message In A Bottle – The Police. We finish off with a sting in the tail. See what I did there?! Yeah, okay, it’s a bit of a ‘dad joke’. I once got a message in a bottle – it was a beer bottle, and the message said “drink responsibly”…
And that’s the end for today. Until next week!