As if by magic (bad magic at that), we are at the end of another week. Half way through the month already, which means two things – firstly it’ll soon be the kids’ summer holidays, and secondly it’s my birthday. Whoop! Whoop! Right, on with the business of shuffling…
- Man In The Mirror – Michael Jackson. Remember when it was uncool to like Jacko because of the court cases and rumours? I admit I stopped listening to him, but only after ‘Earth Song’ – he went a bit shit. This is a cool song, from the ‘Bad’ album, of that there is no doubt.
- Always On My Mind – Elvis Presley. Ah, the King. A song with such random cover versions as The Pet Shop Boys and Mike Reid (yes, he of Frank Butcher fame), this is by far the best. A tidy love song.
- Where Ya Going? – Gomez. A band I lost touch with, but recently re-connected with and discovered a treasure trove of awesomeness. This features Ben Ottewell’s distinctive gravelly voice (he’s had the same voice for, like, nearly twenty years) and a dirty guitar sound.
- Thriller – Michael Jackson. The song that defined his career. It’s got funk, it’s got soul, and it’s got horror icon Vincent Price’s macabre spoken ending. And that video!! *insert evil laugh*
- Message In A Bottle – The Police. We finish off with a sting in the tail. See what I did there?! Yeah, okay, it’s a bit of a ‘dad joke’. I once got a message in a bottle – it was a beer bottle, and the message said “drink responsibly”…
And that’s the end for today. Until next week!